Thursday, August 31, 2006

Summer Movie Olympics, Part 15: Snakes in a Mediocre Indie Comedy

I know, you think the title is lazy, right?

Remember me? I've been busy for most of August, finally writing some screenplay. It's been awesome, but that story is for another post.

I know you've been eagerly awaiting my take on any and all summer movies I've consumed...now that summer is basically over. I am finally gonna check out "Miami Vice" next week and write up my thoughts on the summer movie season (here's a little preview- it's totally sucked.)

Anyway, here are a few mini reviews, before I get back to work on my ridiculous B-Movie.

SNAKES ON A PLANE

I know that the internet hasn't really covered this title very well, and it's especially under-represented within the blog community, so I figured I right that wrong and throw in my two cents.

The entire "Snakes on a Plane" experience has been a fun once since I first heard about the movie concept. It's been fodder for countless jokes for over a year now, and the internet coverage has been fun and entertaining. It's become somewhat of a communal experience overall. Almost two weeks after seeing the movie, I remember the best moments fondly and chuckle to myself. Unfortunately, the worst part of the whole phenomenon was...watching the actual movie.

Sure, it has plenty of moments. And sure, I was plenty drunk. The crowd was loud and getting really into it. But ultimately, once the snakes get onto the plane- it's just too much mayhem. The best snake gags happen in the first few minutes, and the movie kinda blows it's load too early.

I don't regret my year long love affair with "Snakes on a Plane" at all. Ultimately, it disappointed, couldn't live up to everything I'd hoped. But how many things in life truly do?

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

This quirky indie family comedy drama is completely tedious. Not one of the characters behaved like realistic human beings- in fact, they all behaved like- characters in a quirky indie family comedy drama. This is the sort of movie that came out of Sundance by the dozen during the mid nineties, along with all the lesbians on heroin movies that were so popular back then. I could not ever get into the movie- it was one contrived situation with dishonest human behavior after another. I love Steve Carrell, feel he was robbed at the Emmys this year (though "24"did win- oh fuck yes) but he didn't really have a character written for him to play- nor did the rest of the cast.

Sure, each of them had broad and eccentric problems- Greg Kinnear is trying to become a bigtime motivational speaker, Carrell is a gay professor who tried to off himself, Alan Arkin snorts heroin (seriously, that's how forced the character traits are- an old man on heroin. Hardy fucking har.) The son has taken a vow of silence because of Nieztche. Or because he wants to get in the air force academy. Or something. The young daughter (who is adorable in the movie) wants to be a beauty queen, and the entire movie's plot is a road movie about this oh so charmingly quirky clan driving cross country to get to the titular beauty pageant. Oh yeah, and Toni Collette smokes. That's about all the development the character is allowed. It's a credit to her as an actress that she probably gives the movie's best performance.

I stopped trying to care pretty early in the film- it's just the absolute worst kind of indie movie. Carell's "40 Year Old Virgin," had more laughs, brains, and heart in one scene than in this entire movie. I'd rather take a flight with snakes on it then spend any more time on the road with the insufferably "eccentric" family.

MONSTER HOUSE

An awesome family movie that's actually scary, I totally dug "Monster House" from beginning to end. The movie looked great in 3D, which added to the eye popping fun. The story is basic but pretty much the greatest kids movie premise ever- the mean old neighbor across the street has a house that isn't just haunted- the house itself is, well, a monster.

This is the kind of kid's movie that they made when I was a kid- mostly because the two lead kids are total losers. Most kids movies today feature perfect looking little aryan clones who are always popular and beautiful- kids can't relate to that. The kind of kids who see Monster House- they'll be able to relate to our fat and nerdy heroes.

It's everything a summer movie should be. It's fast, it's funny, it's exciting, and in the evil house, it has a great, terrifying, and really well designed villain. Too bad Hollywood couldn't pull a few more movies like "Monster House" this summer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice wrap up, although I think you were harsh on SUNSHINE.

Can't wait to hear about the script, as Mike and I feebly try to get something going...

Drew

Reel Fanatic said...

I couldn't agree with you more about Monster House ... I think the reason it worked so well is that it was actually a movie made for adults, but appropriate for kids willing to come along for the wild ride